FOR THE 2020 SEASON:
In response to COVID-19, Heritage Village is strongly recommending that all guests entering Heritage Village wear masks and adhere to social distancing guidelines.
Built in the 1890s, in the town of Vignes, the school was originally called “Western School”, and served grades first through eighth. The schoolhouse was an important gathering place; hosting concerts, plays, holiday programs, graduation ceremonies, and later Town Hall meetings until the early 1990s.
In 2001, the Door County Historical Society celebrated its 75th anniversary with the construction of the Village Chapel, a 3/4 model of the first Protestant church building in Door County, the Ephraim Moravian Church, which was founded by Pastor Andrew M. Iverson in 1853.
Built in 1905, the Petersen Granary was originally located on the family’s farm on Lily Bay Road. Utilized as a storage facility for a variety of livestock feed, the granary’s design was typical for Norwegian-style storage buildings. The granary, though Norwegian in design, is a modern-era building.
The Kohl Fish House was originally located in Jacksonport and is typical of many that were built along the in the harbors to provide docking for the fish boats. In 1993, Ed Kohl’s daughters donated the Kohl Fish House to the Door County Historical Society and it become the start of the Heritage Village.
This home was built in Jacksonport around 1882 by the Lautenbach family, immigrants from Germany. In 2006, the DCHS move the home to the Heritage Village. It was named in honor of Orville Schopf, who was instrumental in helping to fulfill the mission of the historical society.
Built in 1877, in the town o f Clay Bank, this building was called home by the Warren family. Family members donated the house and many of its furnishings, and in 2004, the DCHS move the home to the Heritage Village.
Completed in 2018, the Madden Tool Museum was built out of a reconstructed barn. It includes tool displays and an area for demonstrations. The DCHS has been told that it is a one-of -a-kind museum, unlike any other in the State of Wisconsin.
This general store was named for Harry and Stanley Greene, both store owners in Sturgeon Bay. The artifacts and items in the store were donated by hundreds of individuals to furnish the store as it would have been in the early 1900s.
Built in 1856, by the Hanson family, the house remains at its original location. It was built using Norwegian construction techniques that date back to the 1400s. The Hanson Norwegian Homestead is located about 1/2 mile south of the Heritage Village at 2022 Utah Street.